This is a port of Tyrian
for the Nintendo DS.
It's based on OpenTyrian
, which is a ground-up rewrite in C using SDL, using the original DOS source as a reference. Many thanks to the OpenTyrian team for all their hard work.
The original game data (artwork, etc.) from the v2.1 registered version is now freely distributable, and are included with the main download package. These files will not change with future versions of OpenTyrianDS, so after you've downloaded them once, you can just grab the .NDS file for new releases and save some bandwidth.
This is currently a work in progress. Newest version is 0.3
(released Apr 21, 2008).
- OpenTyrian DS v0.3 Binary + Data Files + Music (if you don't know what to get, this is all you need): opentyriands.zip
- OpenTyrian DS v0.3 Binary: opentyrian.nds
- Source: opentyriands-source.tar.bz2 (GPL)
- SDL Libraries (if you want to build Tyrian DS from source): sdl.tar.bz2
- SDL Source (if you want to build SDL from source as well): sdl-source.tar.bz2 (LGPL)
- I don't feel like putting old versions up here, but I can make them available upon request if you really want them
- Make sure you have a Nintendo DS capable of running homebrew code
- Patch the .NDS file with the correct DLDI for your card
- Copy the .NDS file to your card
- Extract the data files to the root of your card (should create a /tyrian directory)
- Redesigned the bottom screen (based on a mockup by ExeterV) in single-player Arcade and Full Game modes.
- Improved stability and performance.
- Fixed a control mapping issue; you should now be able to properly map all buttons to controls.
- Improved music playback (thanks to moi, Renard). Some of the .WAV files have been modified for this; please download the complete package instead of just the .NDS file.
Changes for version 0.2:
- Fixed a bug that was corrupting save games, causing a crash when you tried to load the game.
- Removed the horizontal scaling in most places, to make the text easier to read. On some screens you may need to scroll slightly left or right; use the L and R buttons for this. If you prefer the old scaled mode, you can toggle this feature on the OpenTyrian menu.
- Added menu options to start Super Arcade mode or Destruct, from the OpenTyrian menu.
- You can't use cheats, because there's no keyboard to type in the codes.
- Occasional guru meditation crashes during gameplay.
- No networking support.