Rise of the Triad DS
This is a port of Rise of the Triad
for the Nintendo DS.
This is currently a work in progress. Newest version is 0.7
(released Dec 6, 2007).
Many thanks to GPF
for porting SDL
to the DS. I've built upon his work: rewriting parts of the video code, fixing a bug in the keyboard
handling, and adding a mouse driver for the touchscreen.
- Improved music playback
- MissileCam added (it's on the controls menu)
- Sleep mode (closing the DS lid)
- Updated for devkitARM r21
- Music requires extra work, and has some glitches.
- No network support... yet.
- Make sure you have a Nintendo DS capable of running homebrew code
- Patch the .NDS file with the correct DLDI for your card
- Copy the .NDS file to your card
- Extract the data files to the root of your card (should create a /rott directory)
- D-Pad to move forward/back and turn
- L and R shoulder buttons to strafe
- A to fire
- B to use / open doors
- Y to run
- X to swap weapons
- Start to navigate the menus
- Select to bring up the main menu (or go back)
- Drag around on the touchscreen to move the mouse; double-tap to click
Changes for Version 0.6:
- Some changes to reduce memory usage (should avoid Z_Malloc() crashes)
- Fixed the video corruption on the Apogee logo, and the story screens before each episode of the registered version.
Changes for Version 0.5:
- Sound effects are now fully supported.
- Music is now supported, with caveats. ROTTDS cannot (currently) play the game's music natively; however you can extract the music files from the game, convert them to ADPCM on your PC, and place the resulting files in your /rott/ directory, and ROTTDS will play them. I'm providing a music package containing the shareware music in ADPCM format. See the README.NDS file for more info.
Changes for Version 0.4:
- The registered version is now supported. You must supply your own DARKWAR.WAD, DARKWAR.RTL, and DARKWAR.RTC files.
- Customize Keyboard screen now displays names of DS controls, for easier remapping.
- Note: I made a minor change to the default control mapping; delete your CONFIG.ROT file and the game will auto-generate a new one.
Changes for Version 0.3:
- Touchscreen handling fixed. There's now a "Mouse-Look Mode" (on the Customize Controls menu) that you might be interested in.
- NOTE: this release involves a change to SDL, so if you're building from source you'll need to re-download my SDL sources.
Changes for Version 0.2:
- Saving and Loading of games now works.
- COMM-Bat games (in single player) now work.